One of the ways I’ve shared technology with my teachers in the past is to email them a WWW (Weekly Wednesday Website) to share an online resource that might be useful in the classroom. Starting today I’m resuming those emails, and I’ll be sharing the sites here as well. I’ve also created an archive of all the sites I’ve shared so far so that teachers can find a particular website without having to search through a list of emails.
Today’s WWW is…
The South Carolina State Library provides access to $2.2 million worth of research, reference, and learning resources for students in our state via the DISCUS website.
These resources include:
- Britannica Elementary (general encyclopedia)
- BrainPop Jr. (early elementary lessons and online activities)
- CultureGrams (social studies resources)
- Kids InfoBits (general encyclopedia, with magazine and newspaper articles)
- NovelList K-8 Plus (fiction and nonfiction book recommendations)
- Searchasaurus (kid-friendly search engine)
- Biography in Context (biographical information, including photos and videos)
If you don’t live in South Carolina, I’m sorry to say that you can’t access these databases. If you do live in South Carolina, I hope you’ll take advantage of them!
Discus Kids http://scdiscus.org/discus-kids